The Importance of Your SPF's Ingredients
Here to shine some light on the confusing topic of sunscreen and the importance of using safer, mineral based SPF's. Mass-marketed spfs out there are typically use chemicals to protect the skin. Is the cost of the exposure to these chemicals (including long-term damaging Endocrine Disruptors) really worth the benefit? We don't think so! SHOP OUR NON-TOXIC SPF HERE!
In a fairly recent study by Environmental Working Group, only 5 percent of sunscreens were even considered to be safe and 40% were found to have cancer causing ingredients. If that wasn't bad enough, most of these mass marketed chemical containing sunscreens were found to have ingredients like oxybenzone - an endocrine disruptor which can reduce sperm count in men, may contribute to endometriosis in women, thyroid issues and breast cancer.
We have all known that sunscreen could be fairly bad and cause uncomfortable skin reactions but this is vital information that could not be kept behind closed doors for any longer!
Time to Switch to All Natural, Mineral Sunscreens
Mineral sunscreens typically include ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which create a physical barrier to protect the skin from the sun. We think that is the best option when it comes to protecting yourself and your family from those powerful rays! Cover all the bases (& bodies in your family) with Mineral Sunscreens that are safer and more efficient!
- Chocolate Sun Shea Butter Sunscreen
- Suntegrity Natural Mineral Sunscreen
- Chocolate Sun Tanning Cream
- Chocolate Sun Tanning Atomizers
- Prime Fix Enzymatic Scrub
Read on to learn more about harmful ingredients to avoid!
Ingredients to look out for on your current sunscreen bottle:
Hormone Disrupting Ingredients:
oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, octinoxate and vitamin A derivitive
Quick Dangerous Ingredient Breakdown:
- Retinyl Palmitate — said to speed up cancer cell production in skin cancer
- Methylisothiazolinone — the biggest dermatitis offender of allergen of the year.
- Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate — this masquerades as a ‘natural preservative’ and in high concentrations is a skin and eye irritant.
- Amyl acetate — also used at your local dry cleaner
- Octyl stearate — irritant and causes break outs
- Isopropyl Myristate — causes break outs and may bind to nitrates in the body. (P.S. Nitrates are carcinogenic).
Head to Instagram @switch.2pure to learn more, pro tips and latest offers!